Monday, May 31, 2010


A reader named Merle Savage posted this comment on a post I put up today. I haven't had time to follow all the links but I intend to later this evening. I hope she doesn't mind that I'm putting this up. If so, I ask her to contact me and I will remove it.

Article from Las Vegas Review Journal:

The workers who are cleaning up the oil in the Gulf need to be aware of the chemicals that will be used. I am one of the 11,000+ cleanup workers from the Exxon Valdez oil spill (EVOS), who is suffering from health issues from that toxic cleanup, without compensation from Exxon.

My name is Merle Savage; a female general foreman during the Exxon Valdez oil spill (EVOS) beach cleanup in 1989, which turned into 21 years of extensive health deterioration for me, and many other workers. Dr. Riki Ott visited me in 2007 to explain about the toxic spraying on the beaches. She also informed me that Exxon's medical records and the reports that surfaced in litigation by sick workers in 1994, had been sealed from the public, making it impossible to hold Exxon responsible for their actions.

Exxon developed the toxic spraying; OSHA, the Coast Guard, and the state of Alaska authorized the procedure; VECO and other Exxon contractors implemented it. Beach crews breathed in crude oil that splashed off the rocks and into the air -- the toxic exposure turned into chronic breathing conditions and central nervous system problems, along with other massive health issues. Some of the illnesses include neurological impairment, chronic respiratory disease, leukemia, lymphoma, brain tumors, liver damage, and blood disease.

My web site is devoted to searching for EVOS cleanup workers who were exposed to the toxic spraying, and are suffering from the same illnesses that I have. Our summer employment turned into a death sentence for many -- and a life of unending medical conditions for the rest of us – Exxon’s Collateral Damaged.

"They called it the "Valdez crud," but it was more than a cough and diarrhea.

"We thought it was a flu that was going around and every body kept getting it," said Merle Savage, who was general foreman of the cleanup crews of the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska's Prince William Sound.

Instead, the stuff that was making cleanup workers sick was a toxic cocktail of oil droplets in mist they inhaled from spraying the shoreline with hot water and chemicals that were used to disperse the spill's massive black wave.

Now Savage wants today's workers to be aware of similar risks they might face in cleaning up the even bigger BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico."
Las Vegas Review Journal

Bookmark and Share


  1. Thank you for helping to get the message to the People who live in the Gulf. Together we can make a difference. I don't want the Gulf cleanup workers to become BP's Collateral Damage like we were Exxon's Collateral Damage in 1989.

  2. Alberto Carlos BustosMarch 3, 2011 at 8:07 AM

    I ain't no workmouth trynna speak to borgasm, you bet I spit words loud and will cause you spasms. Surfing on your blog feels like a cat in mice's castle, not so happy but crazy eyes wide like Charle's Manson's.... My fellas? They call me Generic Viagra : fluids flow like water in Niagara, hard like stone, firm like bone and nutts about this post. Say say: hard like stone, firm like bone and nutts about this post!

  3. This is happening people. The residents of the Gulf region and the clean up workers need help. They are very sick and dying. BP is also still using the toxic chemical that the EPA told them not to use, COREXIT. This stuff is nothing but poison for everything it touches. If you or your loved ones have had anything from the gulf region...they may be infected. Seafood, cotton clothing, sugar, rice, tobacco, coffee..and the list goes on and on. Do your own research.

  4. I worked on cleanup on the Exxon Valdes, I was a setnet fisherman off Kodiak island.

    I had a terrible cough for weeks and coughed until my throat bled. spent one morning puking for hours then the next 2-3 days laying in bed I thought I was going to die, I could only breath laying on my side taking tiny sips of air. I could not physically breath laying on my back, I could not force myself to breath.

    I somewhat recovered and went to the clinic in Larson Bay and they said they could find nothing wrong.

    Since then I have struggled with my health more and more, and recently have sought help as it has gotten worse and worse.

    I would love to connect with others who have been dealing with this and see what they have done to deal with it.