FOX NEWS

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

WE CAN TAKE CARE OF OURSELVES, THANK YOU

From 24th State:
"One of my commenters challenged me to discuss what I would support in healthcare. Here are fifteen points. Some are state, some are federal, but I am against new federal taxes, new federal bureaucracies, or single-payer, or other bloated government monstrosities in general. Here are 20 commonsense ways to address healthcare I would support."


Someone needs to explain to me where the government gets the authority to regulate the medical industry to begin with. That being said:

I like your ideas but how about these:
1) Insurance will only cover catastrophic loss. Like homeowners insurance, which would pay for a house fire but not installing a lock on the door.
2) Remove all government licensing requirements for medical providers. Professional organizations can provide certifications to those that want them. Let the buyer beware.
3) Get rid of FDA and all restrictions on sales of medicines and other drugs. The FDA didn't protect anyone from bad drugs and other stuff from China , so what do they do? Again, let the buyer beware and let the industry set up its own certifications.
4) Remove ALL non market driven forces from medical industry. Let the "invisible hand" work.

I understand the historical reasons for most of the system as we have it today and I also know that some, VERY MINOR, regulation may be needed. The problem is that this regulation should not come from government. Government has consistently proven itself incapable of doing anything right. I would expect to see some problems with a free market system as far as quality and dishonesty, however I believe that the market would go much further in reducing these instances than government regulation ever will; and it will do it more efficiently.

Bad doctors and bad drugs would quickly find themselves without customers. The internet has created an environment that allows for the rapid dissemination of information. We're big boys and girls now, we can walk by ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment